Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Day 70 - Radiate

My surgeon's office is working on setting up an appointment for me with one of the top radiation oncologists in town.  I did a bit of research on her (of course), and her qualifications are really impressive.  I like impressive and will need to be sure that whoever does my radiation is really excellent because the radiation will be taking place on my left side.  They will have to be very careful of my heart and lungs so that nether get damaged during my zapping.

I am still not entirely sure that I will go that route but am mostly sure that I will.  The consultation with the radiation oncologist will certainly help me finalize that decision, and I am glad that my surgeon recommended doing that.  He knows me well, and I appreciate his willingness to help my peace of mind.

My big event for work (The Wireless Infrastructure Show) is in 1.5 weeks!  Things have been a bit nutty at work, but the event is coming together so nicely.  I am so excited for everyone who has put so much hard work into it, including me.  I am going to be constantly refreshing our online registration system for updates and will be texting anyone who will respond to me to see how things are going during the show.  It will be really annoying, and I will try to keep it to as much of a minimum as possible. 

I've already started working on my to-do list for that week so that I can keep myself as busy as possible.  I can start finalizing the financials for the event and working on thank you notes and such.  I'll try to keep myself from going too stir-crazy.

My dad is coming into town this weekend, and I am so excited to see him.  We haven't seen him since Christmas and certainly not since Day 1 so a visit is long overdue.  He saw my bald head via FaceTime on Monday so that won't be too much of a shock to him.

My hair (if you can call it that) is so funny these days.  It is growing in some places on my head and not in others.  I don't really understand that, but I don't understand a lot of what is going on with my body right now so that is ok.  All I know is that it is working really hard to fight this cancer.  I've never been so impressed and horrified by myself all at the same time.  Horrified by some of the side effects..not by my appearance.

I have learned so much about myself during this process and suspect that the learning will continue for a long time.  I never really knew how resilient I am until now.  The other day, my surgeon asked me how many days I take off for each chemo treatment.  When I answered with "none," he looked surprised and kind of laughed and said "good for you. I am glad that you are living your life as normally as you can."  Mike and I talked about that in the car and surmised that these doctors must just see people totally shut down and stop everything.  I absolutely refuse to do that.  I refuse to let cancer take away all of my normal.  Yes, there are people who simply cannot work during cancer treatment for many reasons and some who simply choose not to so that is not a judge.  I am very fortunate to be able to maintain a mostly normal schedule. Very fortunate and mostly normal..that should be the title of a book.

Along similar lines of questioning, Dr. Hawk also asked me I if I was still traveling for work.  And I answered that with a resounding "no." No way, no how.  The rigors of travel would be way too much for me.  So I compromise...still working full time but not traveling.  I think that is fair. 

My benadryl/steroid-laden upcoming chemo may change that entirely anyway. I may need to take a day or two off surrounding each treatment, and that will be ok too.  I've got plenty of sick and vacation time stashed away..the benefit of being at a company for a very long time.

June 9 will be the 7th anniversary of me being at PCIA.  How in the world did that happen?  I've been through so many life experiences while working at this company - got married, moved to Charleston, bought a house, had a child, got cancer (those are some major ones at least).  I'll look forward to adding BEAT CANCER to that list, or as someone recently said "crushing cancer."  I like that - crushing cancer. 

I am grateful for my job, grateful for the wonderful co-workers that I have, and very grateful for all that I have learned over the past 7 years.  I still wonder how they went by so fast. I guess that is what starts to happen at the ripe old age of 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment