Friday, April 17, 2015

Day 72 - Neighbor

Our neighbors who live directly behind us are named Michael and Nancy...kind of funny. We had a good laugh about that when they moved in several years ago. Michael was diagnosed with cancer shortly after I was, and we've been able to offer a lot of support to each other over the past few months. He got some great news yesterday - his chemo is working very well, and his cancer is also melting away.  I am so happy for him and encouraged by his good news.  Michael and I see the same oncologist so often compare notes and tips for dealing with chemo.  I am glad to have him for support.

Our next-door neighbors are also a great part of our support system. They have been known to drop off flowers, leave a container of soup on the front porch, or invite Mike over for dinner on a night when I was not up for cooking or really eating at all.  Their daughter, who is my age, has her own experience with breast cancer so they can relate to what we are going through. 

These are more examples of the truly wonderful people that we have in our lives..we are very fortunate.

I listened to a webinar on TNBC during my lunch break today about making healthy lifestyle choices to prevent recurrence.  I didn't really learn a whole lot new - eat healthy, exercise, don't smoke, wear sunscreen, and manage your weight.  It was worth my time regardless as I endeavor to learn as much as I possibly can about my disease.  I'll be listening to another one on April 29 that is more of a medical update, and I think that one will be much more informative.

Speaking of exercise, I hope that my next type of chemo will allow for more of it.  The A/C got me down pretty badly for an extended period of time, and walks around the block were pretty much all I could manage.  Hopefully chemo part deux will be a bit easier in that department.

My dad arrived a little bit after 5pm, and we're so glad to have him here.  We've got a fun weekend on tap, and I've been loving all of our visitors lately.  It's been nice to see family and friends.  It's always nice, but even nicer during times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment