Sunday, June 7, 2015

Day 123 - Survivor

June 7 is National Cancer Survivors' Day, and I intend to celebrate it for many many years to come.  When I was first diagnosed, I joined a FB group called Breast Cancer Survivors, and the administrator of the page does a little screening on any requests to join to make sure that the members are all who have been given a diagnosis of breast cancer.  There are other groups for family members and loved ones, but this one is just for us.  The page administrator asked me to tell her a little bit about my diagnosis which I did, and I ended my message with something along the lines of "if this page is only for those who have survived cancer vs. newly diagnosed, I totally understand."  Her almost immediate response was "you are already a survivor, Nancy."  I cried.  I am already a survivor...she was right.

I felt so much better today than yesterday and did not have to take any of my nausea meds.  I just stuck to my non-barfy regimen of various vitamins, antacids and other digestive aids.  No matter where I am in a chemo cycle, the heartburn does not go away.  I will be working hard to heal my digestive system in the post-chemo world and will look forward to putting away the Tums.

We had a fun day marking Henry's last day as a 3-year old.  He's really excited to be 4 tomorrow, and I am excited for him.  We made some cookies for him to take to school to share with his friends and made a small cake for us to have at home tomorrow night.  A lot of sugar, I know, but turning 4 is a big deal.  Also, I make a damn good buttercream frosting (not bragging, just a fact), and I am willing to make it for almost any occasion.  It's just that good.

Henry and I had another water balloon fight in the front yard.  It's really fun, and I highly recommend it.  I totally kicked his butt.  He got me a few times, but he was drenched and full of giggles when I was finished with him.

Henry and I also ran an errand this afternoon to pick up a gift.  I've mentioned before that my neighbor is also undergoing treatment for cancer, and his last chemo is a few days before mine so I picked up something to mark the occasion. More on that to follow as we get a little closer to the time.

This evening, I ran to the store to pick up a balloon for Henry.  I always have a balloon tied to his chair at the table on the morning of his birthday. I've also written on a card for Henry each year for his birthday.  I haven't given him the cards because they would not mean anything to him at this point in his life, but I hope that he will enjoy reading them one day and learning more about when he was little and also reading about how much I love him.  Late last year, I realized that I had not written on a card for him on the actual day that he was born so I went back and wrote to him about that day.  I think he'll enjoy having them when he is older.

This year's card will be much more emotional than others just because this year has been so trying.  I haven't been able to sit down and write it yet, but I've got the card and will probably need to add a page or two to it.  I've become very verbose these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment