Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day 125 - Seven Years

Today is my 7-year work anniversary. (there is that number showing up in a blog post again)  Talk about time flying!  It's hard to believe how much has happened in the last 7 years, both personally and professionally.  I think that I've said this before, but I've experienced so many major life milestones while working at PCIA - getting married, moving to Charleston, having Henry, and cancer diagnosis...to name a few.  Just puts into perspective how long I have actually been working there, and I look forward to adding many more life milestones to my tenure.

I have learned so much over the past 7 years, and I have grown up a lot.  I enjoy my job and am grateful for it and for all of the support that I have from my company in all aspects of my life.

I had to go to the doctor to get my lupron injection today.  I should only need one more after today, and I am glad.  That shot hurts during and for a few days after (right in the old keister), and the side effects have been unpleasant.  I am ready to work on getting my body back to normal (or better) functioning.

My poor eyelashes and eyebrows continue to thin.  I counted 4 little lashes under my right eye as I was attempting to put mascara on them before departing for the doctor.  It's pretty tricky to target apply mascara, and I will probably give up soon.  I really love mascara though.  The hair on my head is growing slowly in some places and not at all in others.  I have not been terribly bothered by my bald head, but I am ready to have some hair back.  I will settle for super super short hair as long as there is some coverage on my dome.  I wonder how long it will take for me to get the point where my hairstyle looks intentional..it will be interesting to see how that all pans out.

I also have a tentative date for my surgery - July 17.  I've never been so excited to go under the knife in my life.  It is time to get any cancer (if there is any left...HOPEFULLY NOT) out of my body, and I am very eager for that to happen.  I should be cleared for surgery by my oncologist on July 14 so let's just get it done that week.  My surgeon's nurse almost scheduled me for July 15 but we both though it best to wait a few extra days just in case my blood counts are low on the 14th.  They won't be, but why not be on the safe side.  

The numbness that I was experiencing in my fingers is pretty much gone, but I am still achy from last week's chemo.  I spent most of today with a heating pad and various essential oils on my back for relief.  It worked.  I should probably also treat myself to a better desk chair at some point in my life.  The one that I have used to be my brother's (I think), and I stole it from him when we first moved to Charleston, unsure of how long I would be working from home.  6 years later...

I recently found out that one of my hotel sales reps is a breast cancer survivor.  She and I set aside a few minutes today to talk about our individual experiences.  We have a lot of similarities and a lot of differences with our diagnoses and treatments, but we've both heard the words "you have cancer" and will be forever bonded because of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment