Monday, June 29, 2015

Day 145 - Expectations

I need to get a better handle on my expectations and get them more in line with reality.  Reality is that I am not even a week out from very harsh chemotherapy.  The last little drip went through my port at around 3:30 on June 23 yet here I sit on June 29 expecting (kind of) to be back to full strength.  That is a bit silly.  I am certainly on my way back to full strength but still have some aches and pains (that I need to STOP over-analyzing), and it is going to take me a while to bounce back from chemo.  Chemo stays in the system for quite a while (a good thing), and my system is no exception to that rule.

I think that I am still experiencing some side effects from the steroids too. My face seems a little bit puffy still, but my face seems a bit out of balance to me sans eyebrows and eyelashes.  Hopefully the 'roids will work their way out of my system sooner rather than later.  

That said, I felt mostly great today despite the aforementioned aches and pains.  Mike and I went for a nice long bike ride during my lunch break today, and it felt awesome to get some exercise.  I did not ride fast, but we went at least 5 miles.  I also took the dog for a brief walk after we got back.  Today is the best that I've felt since last week, and my activity level supports that.

As much as I expect my body to bounce back quickly, I need to be realistic and kind to myself.  I'll get back to where I was.  Actually, I'll get back to better than where I was.  I was (am) carrying around some extra pounds that I intend to kiss goodbye, and I endeavor to be healthier in general.  It's the least that I can do for myself after what I've experienced.

Now that I am feeling better, I am back to eating fruits, veggies, complex carbs and lean meats.  There is one more sweet treat in my house that will be gone tonight then it is time to LAY OFF of the sugar.  Sugar really is like crack (not that I have any direct experience).   The more you have, the more you want!

Nancy 2.0 (so lame), here we come...in small steps as I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment