Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 134 - Charleston

Last night, a gunman walked into a church in Charleston and killed 9 people during a Bible study/ prayer service.  9 people gone in the blink of an eye at the hands of a 21-year old man.  This tragedy is mind-blowing and so incredibly sad.  Life is so fragile, and the actions of others simply to not make sense at times.

For the second time since April, Charleston has been in the national media because of senseless violence.  Our community and the nation mourns those who have lost their lives. I've been glued to the news all day and am glad the shooter was found swiftly so that he can be brought to justice.  I also spent a lot of the day trying to comprehend what went so terribly wrong in this young person's life that filled him with so much hatred and lead him to unspeakable violence.  That kind of hatred is not innate.

I cried a lot watching the news today, and one moment, in particular struck me very hard.  One of the victims was 87-years old.  An 87-year old woman was shot during Bible study at her church.  It does not get much worse than that.  Of course, I mourn all of the lives lost. There was also a 5-year old in the room who played dead during the shootings, and his life was spared.  What that poor child witnessed is horrific. 

Charleston has reacted peacefully, and many vigils have taken place in the city.  These are the things that change places and rock them to the core, and I am glad that Charleston remains calm in the wake of such tragedy.

Some good news did come from today - my friend/neighbor had his last chemo today.  I am so happy for him and got him a Superman t-shirt to mark the occasion.  Anyone who has gone though chemo certainly has super powers, and I hope that he remembers that when he wears the shirt.  He called me on his way home from the cancer center, and I could tell that he is just so happy to put that chapter behind him. 

I spent some time snuggling with my boy this evening, very thankful for all that I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment