Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 139 - 4 Months of Chemo

I've had this post in mind for a while, and am thrilled to finally be able to do it.  Here's what 4 months of chemo looks like. 

Chemo #1 - Happened during an "ice storm" with no ice.  Schools were closed
so we had to get a babysitter for Henry.  I was feeling well and excited to get
the cancer OUT of my body.  In an attempt to keep things as normal as possible, I worked
during the whole infusion.  

Chemo #2 - Still had hair!  I had lost about 12 pounds at this point (that I have subsequently
gained back) and was not looking forward to the side effects that I knew were on tap for the
remainder of the week.  I think that I felt the worst after this chemo.

Chemo #3 - Hair was very patchy, and I could not go out in public
without my head covered.  The nurse that I had for this treatment gave me some
great tips on spacing out my nausea meds so I felt better after this round than I
did the second. 

Chemo #4 - Last A/C chemo!  The adriamycin is often called "the red devil," and
that nickname is certainly fitting.  I still shudder at the thought of it and the memory
of how that medicine tasted.  I was so happy to be done with that particular chemo. 

Chemo #5 - First taxol/carboplatin combo.  I was prepared for it to taste bad
like the A/C did, but there was no taste at all.  I was happy about that.  This was a
very long day.  After 1 hour of pre-meds and 4 hours of chemo, I shut the place down.  I became
very dehydrated after this round and almost passed out twice.  I had to go back in for IV
fluids and just started requesting them after subsequent rounds to prevent any other problems. 

Chemo #6 - My mom came with me to this treatment, and we had a nice time
talking for part of the infusion.  We also both worked and relaxed for a little while.  It was
5-hour infusion so it took up most of the day.  She also took me in for IV fluids the next day to ward
off any dehydration. 

Chemo #7 - My nurse made a bald joke as she was taking the picture for me.
Clearly, I found it funny.  I had a private room again for this chemo because the private
rooms have a better wi-fi signal.  I asked my doctor to cut back on the steroids for this
treatment, and he did.  I felt pretty awful after this one, though, and I wonder if it
is because I didn't have as high of a steroid dose.  
Chemo #8 - Wonder Woman.  I got a Wonder Woman shirt to wear to my last treatment
and my ever-thougthful and creative mom (and Glen) found someone to make a Wonder Woman
balloon for me and had it delivered to the treatment center! She also made me a little crown/
headband for me to wear. 
This is will be a long post, but I must add some additional thoughts and information about today.  Today is a day that I will never forget for many reason.  It was a good and very emotional day.  It was so awesome to have Reagan there with me.  She and I had a really nice time chatting, and she was emotional with me when the final bit of chemo was done.  My nurses gave me a certificate of completion and let me ring a little bell...great way to mark the end of chemo.

I came home to a decorated front door.  Reagan had come over before coming to chemo and decorated the front door with rainbow-colored balloons (for my rainbow), a poster that says "Last Chemo," and another poster with all of my blog post titles from the past 138 days.  I sobbed.  Such a wonderful way to celebrate this day.

I got so many texts, messages, emails and calls today, and I also had some flowers and gifts waiting for me at home.  I certainly feel special and very loved.

While I brace for the impact of the last round, I take a lot of comfort in knowing that I have finished this part of my treatment, and I hope that the surgery and radiation are much easier on me than chemo was.  The tumor was barely palpable today, and I am grateful for that.  I would like for it to disappear completely in the next 3 weeks!

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and support.  It means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment