Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 136 - Smoke Alarm

We all awoke at around 5:40 to the sweet sweet sounds of our smoke alarm.  Not to worry, there was no fire/smoke. We've got 6-7 smoke detectors in our house, and they are all linked so when one goes off, they all go off.  It would be great in the event of a fire because there is no way that anyone could sleep through something like that, but when there is no fire, it is more than just annoying.  It finally stopped beeping, and we changed the battery in the violating alarm and went back to sleep. Henry was pretty upset but managed to go back to sleep for a little while.  He and I got up around 6:30, and the cacophony sounded again at around 8:00.  Henry and the dog went out on the back porch while Mike and I changed ALL of the smoke alarm batteries in the house, and I also vacuumed the sensors.  Sometimes they get dusty and and confuse the dust for smoke.  Not exactly a relaxing morning, but it is good to know that they work and that they will certainly wake us up.

Henry and I made banana/chocolate chip muffins this morning then I went to the gym.  I did better than I thought that I would do, but I was spent at the end of the class.  It felt great to get a really good workout in though, and I was so happy to see some of my gym friends.  I won't be able to go for a while coming up due to surgery and radiation so I will try to get in as much time as I can in the next few weeks.  It would be difficult to try to avoid upper body work at the gym since a good portion of the workout involves the rowing machine and weight-lifting, but I might try to go during radiation and see if I can just do lower-body work.  My radiation oncologist said that I would be restricted from upper body weight-lifting during radiation and for a month after.  Kind of a bummer but not the end of the world.

After the gym, I ran downtown to pick up a Father's Day gift for Mike, and Henry and I went out to get a card for him once I got back.  H and I also went out in search of fresh fish to have for dinner.  He had some of my fish at a restaurant the other night and loved it, and I am happy to make that for him.  We found some flounder filets at a shop right down the road from us.  It is very nice to have regular access to locally-caught seafood.

My brother is spending the weekend at Kiawah with some friends so we drove down there late afternoon to see the group.  It was nice to hang out with him one more time before he heads back to North Carolina.  We stayed a bit late so I ended up making instant grits to go along with our flounder. To quote My Cousin Vinny, "no self-respecting southerner uses instant grits." I doctored them up, and they were pretty good, but I am still ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment